Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The international chess throwdown....

While having a relaxing, exploratory walk through the heart of Tumbes, I came across two old men playing chess. In between the make shift stools, the board sat atop an empty cardboard box. The red paint of the checkered squares was faded with age and abuse, the wood grain coming through. The pieces themselves were of plastic, chipped and some were partially melted. They had character.

I stopped to watch the game. They looked like old men. They were neatly dressed, in clothes that had, like themselves, were worn but friendly. One of the men, who looked the older of the two, and worse player, had a habit of holding to his piece a long while after placing it but before letting go. I stood there, maybe 15 minutes, enjoying the battle of wits between the two old friends. There were always friendlily giving each other a hard time. As the game came to a close, they began to talk with me and invited me to sit down and play. Unfortunately, it was a bit late, and I postponed the game until after the weekend to Monday. I was told that they would be there around 2:30.

Monday rolled along, and I went by the spot at 2:15, no one was there. Went by again at 2:30, and still no one. I should have known. I went back the park and read for a while, came back to the spot at 3:30 and they were just getting started.

One of them gave up them gave up their seat to let me play. The international chess throw down had begun.

I had just wanted a small friendly chess game, but it quickly turned into PerĂº vs. The U.S.

We had gathered a small crowd of about 5 or 6 people. The tension was thick.

The game was even and I was really rusty. It was the first time I had played in about a year.

We started off slowly, testing each other. After about 8 minutes, I was up a pawn.

Then I made a mistake, and everything was looking pretty dire. I was unhappy with myself that I was about to lose and slightly annoyed that they kept making the game out to be PerĂº vs. The U.S.

Just when it looked as if all hope was lost, he gave me a small out and from the jaws of defeat I escaped and turned it around. I was down by a rook and knight, but in a beautiful series of about 5 moves, I turned the tables and had him on his heels. I ended up winning, but it was a lucky win. But it was still a win, and the U.S. can still hold its head up.

Needless to say, I will be playing with them about every other day and I am sure by the end of two years we will all be close friends.

--

Ian McGrath 12/15/2009

2 comments:

  1. very fun - Grandpa Joe would be oh so proud! You must take a photo of your chess opponents - and one of yourself playing with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice story; keep it up!

    ReplyDelete